Friday, November 03, 2006

National Adoption Month

Did you know that November is National Adoption Month? Robbie's school has several adoptive families and I learn more and more every day about adoption. Prior to attending the orientation, I really never put much thought into adoption and adopted kids. I had no idea the culture surrounding adoption. Both of the moms in Robbie's class who have adopted children have been great in educating the rest of us. I have learned a lot and am thankful for their patience in educating everyone they come in contact with.

I had no idea at the beginning of school that this subject would be one that my extended family would be part of. I was excited to hear last month about the adoption of Oscar. So, I thought it fitting as part of National Adoption Month to share what I am learning with my family and friends.

I think the hardest thing for me to remember is the positive and negative adoption language. I know when I speak, I don't always choose my words correctly and this could have a negative connotation toward adoption. Although I unintentionally use these words, I'd hate to evoke any negative feelings toward adoption and any adoptive families. So, here is a list that was provided to us of positive and negative language that is used. This list made me think twice about language I would have ordinarilly used... I hope it does the same for you.

Positive Language / Negative Language
Birthparent / Real Parent
Biological parent / Natural parent
Birth Child / Own Child
My Child / Adopted Child; Own Child
Born to Unmarried Parents / Illegitimate
Terminate Parental Rights / Give Up
Make an adoption plan / Give Away
To Parent / To Keep
Waiting Child / Adoptable Child; Available Child
Parent / Adoptive Parent
International Adoption / Foreign Adoption
Search / Track Down Parents
Child Placed for Adoption / An Unwanted Child
Court Termination / Child Taken Away
Child with Special Needs / Handicapped Child
Child From Abroad / Foreign Child
Was Adopted/ Is Adopted

As you can see, I used many of the negative language examples in my blog... but I am leaving them as this is an example of how I am learning too.

No comments: