Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Space

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, I have a myspace. I once tried to set one up a few months back thinking it might be a better format for my blog (from what I knew then was it was similar to a blog, but had separate frames so I could possibly have a separate photo album - so not the case). Anyhow, I tried one out since it was free... and proceeded to lose it. Until last week. My babysitter/nanny has a myspace and she is always wanting me to look at various photos or whatever so I shared with her my funny story about losing it. I thought it was amusing, she thought it was pathetic. She found the page for me much to my dismay. I think she is trying to make me more hip... I hate to tell her, it didn't happen in High School, I doubt it will happen now. I think you have to have the desire first.

Anyhow, here are my feelings on myspace... why??? I obviosly don't belong on there. I was shown around a bit, I learned how to search, how to upload pictures and how to accept friends. As I was looking up profiles of my old high school friends, I became increasingly scared. I read a little bit of their profile and what they've been up to and I felt like I was back in high school... and not in a good way. They said things like "phat" and "what up dog" and so on... I don't think we used these terms in high school, but my point is that they don't seem to have grown up. Granted, they all have kids - some even 12 years old! But they seem like kids themselves.

So, myspace isn't really for me. It also isn't convenient. I forgot to check it for several days (you don't get any convenient emails like you do on a blog, letting you know that someone has responded to you) and didn't realize that my brother had sent me a message. It took me a while to figure out how to read it (I think myspace pages are much too busy - they hurt my head when I look at them)... then it took me a while to figure out how to respond. I'm pretty computer and internet saavy... but myspace is definitely geared toward a specific generation - and it isn't mine.

Oh, also - I think I got spammed! I had like 36 messages! And I know I don't know that many myspacers - especially inthe first week of having it. I will never know if it was spam or not because I inadvertently deleted them. I have to admit, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

But, my space is good for a few things. One - keeping tabs on my brother to know what he's doing. I like that as he doesn't email me much. At least I can occasionally communicate with him through myspace and have a better chance of him responding. And two - it seems to be a great way of spying on people. If I were a myspacer, I'd set it to private. I know this blog isn't private and anyone can read it... but I don't have things on here like what school I used to go to and what company I work for.

I feel like I need to dumb down to be on myspace... and I'm too tired to do that, it would take effort for no purpose. I like my blog. I'm comfortable here. But, for my brother, I will be keeping my myspace account.

No comments: