Thursday, November 02, 2006

Good Times

Robbie loves dinosaurs. This was even more apparent today at school. Today they were given their first "homework" assignment. Every child got to choose a book bag. Each book bag had a different book with either a cassette, CD, puppets or other appropriate materials. There was one for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Mouse Counting, Dinosaurs, etc. Robbie locked his sights on the dinosaur bag along with about ten other classmates.

They were randomly selected to come up and choose a bag. The third child selected the dinosaur bag. I looked at Robbie and his hands immediately went over his mouth and I saw his eyes begin to droop. I knew we were headed straight for a meltdown. Apparently the teacher saw this too... but made the fatal mistake of saying "it's okay Robbie, everyone gets a chance to choose a bag". This prompted immediate tears. The teacher continued to call kids (that were sitting quietly waiting their turn - it was evident Robbie wasn't going to be called on until he calmed down), I went to my baby's side and tried to pick up the pieces. The best I could do was count to ten slowly for him so he could take ten deep breaths. He was able to calm down long enough to be the last child to select a book bag.

All the while, between cries, sniffles and pure despair, Robbie was whimpering things such as "I love dinosaurs, I want the dinosaur bag", "But I don't want to stop loving dinosaurs", "I want the bag now" and "But I love dinosaurs and I need to take home the dinosaur bag".

We got him calmed down several times only to have him erupt back into tears at the mere thought of losing the dinosaur bag. It's like a library. The kids will take the bag home, listen and read the book, then return it on Monday to get another bag. He didn't care that he would eventually get a chance. This was a big deal... and I'm fairly certain that he's still not over it. On the way home from school I heard him in the back seat talking to his sister (I assume that's who he was talking to as he was definitely not talking to me) "I will get the dinosaur bag and I will hug it very tight"

I haven't mentioned the bag since. I did try to sit down with him this afternoon to read the book he did get; Kenya, Jambo. I made it to the second page... then lost him. He really doesn't want anything to do with the new book. I have to admit that they had him bring home a book that is very interesting to us... but probably a little less engaging for a 4 year old that just wants to learn about dinosaurs.

It is our challenge this weekend to introduce Kenya to Robbie and to make it appealing. I don't think it will be too big of a stretch since he does take pride in increasing his knowledge. But I might have to pull a few of my own tactics in to engage him. I think a map will be the first thing so he can grasp what we are talking about. We read a little about the Swahili language... and he started speaking to me in "Spanish". I like new challenges and I take comfort in knowing that he does too. I just have to be sure not to derail him back into the traumatic loss of the dinosaur bag.

No comments: