Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Blogs are funny things

Throughout the day I have random thoughts... and occasionally I think, I'd love to share that thought on my blog. But then I get home and I can't remember what it was and I find I have nothing to say. So consequently, my blogs are always about the kids because that's what I'm thinking about when I'm at home.

My other thoughts are always about things that would have related to my old job. I don't know why, but I am always looking at the latest bus ads - critiquing their effectiveness, noticing new developments and wondering how that lender became part of the whole thing, seeing effective promotions and wondering who thought of such a great idea and brainstorming my own. I often feel like blogging about these things, but it seems silly. Not only am I not involved in these things anymore, but I highly doubt my friends and family are interested in my thoughts about the car dealership bus ad I saw today.

And this is when I think about how blogs are funny things. Essentially, I'm just talking to myself. I mean, I often filter it and try to keep to certain topics that my family might be interested in... so it's a little like I'm talking to them, but no one really comments (which is okay) and so it's a one way converstation. So why don't I talk about these things? What do I care if my "audience" is bored. If I lost a reader, I'd never know it.

That's another thing that's funny about blogs. Reading other people's blogs. I occasionally read random blogs and even comment on them every once in a while. But when it comes to blogs of people I know... I sometimes feel like I'm invading their privacy. I'm not saying I stop reading them... I just feel a bit funny about it... and I don't leave comments as much as I'd like to. Afterall, they don't know I'm reading. I mean, it's fair game... they're link is on a blog that has been shared with me, so I follow it. I mean, it could be reverse since my link is on other blogs... but see, I don't know because they don't comment on mine either.

I'm not sure why I feel guilty about it since Blogs are public sites. And it doesn't bother me if people I know read my blog. Blogs are just funny things.

No comments: