Thursday, December 28, 2006

Type A

The other day at one of Robbie's playdate, I was having a converstation with the mother of his friend. Apparently, at one point a made a comment to her that must have rubbed her the wrong way. I mentioned something to her about a way I like to do things and she said accussingly "See, you must have Type A tendancies too." or something to that effect.

I just shrugged it off with a little chuckle and perhaps a confused look. See, I hear the term all the time, but I've never cared enough to find out what exactly a "type A" personality is. Afterall, I really don't like generalizations and that what it sounded like to me.

Until I was referred to as "type A". Now I felt compelled to find out exactly what she was calling me... and to see if I could figure out exactly what I said to her that rubbed her the wrong way (I think I said she was a perfectionist - big deal, I don't think it's a bad thing).

I don't agree with the assessment of me being a "type A" personality, but my research soon lead me to a quick personality test :) And here's what came up... and I actually think it's a better description of my personality.

I am described as an INTJ - Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging (Introverted Intuition with Extraverted Thinking). It's a long description, so here are a few of the key points that I think are fitting.
  • INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others. (Competence is a big one for me)
  • INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings. (Not sure I don't care so much about other's thoughts and feelings, but I do spend lots of time in my own thoughts)
  • The INTJ's interest in dealing with the world is to make decisions, express judgments, and put everything that they encounter into an understandable and rational system. Consequently, they are quick to express judgments. Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things. Unless they complement their intuitive understanding with a well-developed ability to express their insights, they may find themselves frequently misunderstood. In these cases, INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves. This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist. (I found this paragraph funny... it probably describes me better than I could have)
  • INTJs are ambitious, self-confident, deliberate, long-range thinkers. (I think this is true about me, but the statement after this claims that my personality makes for good scientists - I would make a horrible scientist, I get bored way to easily and breeze over details)
  • INTJs need to remember to express themselves sufficiently, so as to avoid difficulties with people misunderstandings. In the absence of properly developing their communication abilities, they may become abrupt and short with people, and isolationists. (I work on this all the time - communication!)

So there it is. It's a generalization, but hits on many key points of my personality. I don't think it's "type A" from what I have now read about "type A", but you can judge for yourself. I don't mind her giving me that label. Afterall, I really don't care too much about what she thinks. I'm confident in myself and I think I'm generally :) a likeable person.

No comments: