Tonight I saw my first sign that she's not as tough as she thinks she is. Alyssa met Santa tonight... Robbie introduced her to him. She took one look at him (Santa) and screamed. She would stop when she looked away... then as soon as eye contact was made again, she'd scream.
I didn't feel to bad... we knew the Santa and he took it all in stride (I'm fairly certain his two girls did the same thing at some point). Robbie was a great big brother trying to reassure his sister that this was the man to like.
Tonight was Robbie's pre-school Christmas party. He had a great time. I didn't see him a whole lot. Once we got there, my little social butterfly did his own thing. He checked in with us a few times and as his friends started leaving, he did come by to try to recruit us to play... but he was perfectly happy being the single guy. Made me a little proud to see him exercising his independence... and it was reassuring to know that I could allow him to it in this safe enviroment.
All the way to the party, Robbie and I had a conversation about stranger and what to do if a stranger were to approach him... or worse, try to take him. It was all sparked my a man walking between cars with a "need help" sign. Robbie asked what the sign said and I explained. Then he asked why I didn't help.
It was a hard question. Probably one of the hardest he's asked me. I was honest... I told him the same reason I never roll down my window and offer help. I'm afraid. I told him I will never do that because he is a stranger and I didn't feel safe when it was just me and him in the car. I told him we help people that need help, but we do it in other ways. Safer ways. Was I wrong to say this?
Anyhow, it turned into a conversation of what to do in scary situations. He's pretty resourceful. He had great responses... and he knows 911. It seems a bit odd to me to have these converstations during the season of giving... but I guess it's as good of time as any. I want him to be safe... and I think it's important for him to know that we give in our own way - safely.
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Kayce, this is a great post. And I think you did say the right thing to Robbie about helping people. I, too, take the safe road whenever possible. Safety first!
Post a Comment