Thursday, February 08, 2007

Wembley

Today, Robbie got to bring home Wembley. Wembley is a little stuffed, ratty looking bear that has been well loved for many years by many pre-kindergarteners. They get to bring him home for a week prior to their "special day". On their birthday (or a randomly selected day for those with summer birthdays) they have a "special day" where they share their week with Wembley and they get to sit in front of the class while the teacher shares things about them. It's a big deal. At least it is to Robbie. He's been asking for months when his special day is. Since he has a summer birthday, I had no idea. So it's been a wait and see. When we got the February calendar and I saw his name, I was relieved. He will be celebrating his "special day" very close to his half birthday. February 15th, we will all be going to school to share in Robbie's special day.

But, in the meantime, we have to entertain Wembley. Robbie is very into Wembley. Wembley helped him make silly hats for Alyssa's party, Wembley helped him read to Alyssa, Wembley got in his pajamas at the same time Robbie did... and Wembley had dinner with us. It went something like this;

Mom: "Robbie, your dinner is on the table"

Robbie: "Okay, is Wembley's dinner ready too?"

Mom: "He can sit at the table with you" (I fashioned a high chair for him so he could sit next to Robbie)

Robbie (climbing into his seat next to Wembley): "Where's Wembley's dinner?"

Mom: "I'm not giving Wembley food that he can't eat"

Robbie: "But he's hungry too"

Mom: "I'll give him a plate and he can pretend"

Robbie: "Okay, you give him a plate and I'll share my dinner with him" (he begins splitting his pasta and putting half of it on Wembley's plate)

"Wembley needs a fork! Oh, I'll get it for him mom!" (and he runs to his drawer and pulls out one of his forks)

Mom: "It's your responsibility to be sure both you and Wembley finish everything on your plates"

Robbie: "Okay, I will feed him"

And for the rest of the meal, Robbie patiently holds each peice of pasta up near Wembley's mouth for several seconds, then eats it. He praises Wembley several times for eating so well. While it got tiresome... it was cute... and he ate all the food. So I guess I can't really complain.

I'm just pained thinking of the rest of this week with Wembley though. I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to share of Wembley and Robbie over this next week since we have to put a few pictures in Wembley's book. I know, you're sitting on pins and needles waiting for the photos.

No comments: