Sunday, February 25, 2007

Six degrees of dinosaurs

It's amazing and fun how much Robbie loves dinosaurs. There are times in the middle of the day, when he is doing something unrelated, when he will stop what he's doing just to tell me that he loves dinosaurs. He could be jumping on the trampoline, putting together a puzzle (he's now up to 200 piece puzzles), or playing with his sisters toys when he just stops what he's doing. He looks at me with a content smile and says "I love dinosaurs" then he returns to what he's doing.

The other day Kasey brought in a box of Star Wars toys for him to play with. Robbie asked for a toy to play with from the garage (his playroom) and gave Kasey the choice of what he brought in. Of course, Kasey brought in Star Wars. Robbie and his sister have been playing with them for several days now. Alyssa has been giving everyone Oscars (C3PO) and Robbie has set all the characters on a long dinosaur excavation.

Even his converstations ultimately turn to dinosaurs. We like to call it Six Degrees of Dinosaurs. This afternoon Robbie was asking if he could watch more Animal Planet (he's an Animal Planet junkie). I told him he could if he could tell me something he learned while watching Growing Up Gorilla. He said he learned that gorillas are silly. I told him he needed to give me something more than that, so he told me that he learned that Gorilla's eat flowers and bugs and that he learned that from the Iguanodon Movie. It wasn't quite what I was going for, but I thought it was good that he was pulling from other resources to answer the question, so I let it slide. By the way, I'm not sure gorillas eat flowers and insects... he was referring to the movie Dinosars (whose main character happens to be an Iguanodon... and they aren't gorillas, they are lemurs).

He also does this when we are reading about other things. Such as moose. I was reading him a Zoobook (he loves those - thanks Grandma and Grandpa!) about Deer and we read about how big a Moose is. He got very excited and said "that's as big as a Pachycephalosaurus". I'm not sure if it is... in fact, I think a moose is bigger. He is still working on imagining the size of things in feet. It's a hard concept and he's getting better.

Anyhow, it's fun to play Six Degrees of Dinosaurs in this house. I do have to warn you, if you visit this household... it's a sure bet that you will learn something about dinosaurs. Even Alyssa is partial to dinosaurs.

No comments: