I have recently joined a Meetup.com mom's group for the Snohomish (mainly Everett) area. This is one of my resolutions for the year. I hate New Years resolutions, I think if you are going to make a change, why wait for the beginning of a new year? But as part of giving Robbie an idea of what a New Year means, as a family we complied a long list of things we wanted to do in the upcoming year (maybe someday I'll get around to posting it). One of mine was to find Alyssa a few playdates.
I joined this group when it first formed... so everyone is new. I like it that way... it gives me an even playing field so to speak. I hate cliques. And when you join an established group of women, this is often the case. Anyhow, last Saturday night was a Mom's Night Out and much to our (those that know me) surprise, I participated. I don't like small talk. It really doesn't have a place in my life. I do enjoy getting to know people, but I'm not one in a group to join a conversation about Brittney Spears, bashing useless husbands (it seemed wrong to bash the person that made it possible for you to be out and have the conversation) or breeding boston terriers.
I don't think of myself as shy or quiet. But I think at the dinner, I was given this label. I don't really care, I'm used to it. But I don't think it's very fitting. I don't feel shy or feel like I necessarily lean toward the quiet side. But what I do think is true about me is that I only talk when I have something to say. I only ask questions when I want to know something. I won't say something just to be a part of a conversation. I won't say something to fill silence (silence doesn't bother me or make me feel uncomfortable). I'm not someone to talk about the weather unless it truly is on my mind. This doesn't mean that I'm unfriendly. I will answer people if they ask me a question. I'm just not a "gabby" type of girl. This makes it difficult for me to form friendships with those I don't see often.
With that said, I still think the night went fairly well. I've established myself as a participating member of the group. I post regularly on the chat board and I've attended a total of three meetups so far. I am hopeful that this will turn into something positive for Alyssa.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment