Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Vines

About a month ago, Robbie and I had a conversation about the veins in my arm. I'm fair skinned and the ones at my wrist are very prominent. He asked what they were. So we discussed what veins were and what they did.

Since then, he's been intrigued with veins... but he calls them vines. He knows what they are when we talk about "veins", but when he talks about them, he always says "vines". I continually correct him... and he continually calls them vines.

So today, I was brave and pushed the subject a little further (previously I've had fear of a "fridge" reoccurance)...

Robbie: "My vines keep me strong"

Mom: "Your VEINS keep you strong?"

Robbie: "No, my vines."

Mom: "Those are called veins."

Robbie: "I know that's what YOU call them."

Mom: "That's what they are called. They are VEINS."

Robbie: "No, that doesn't sound like a real word. So I call them VINES."

Mom: "Well, you are welcome to call them vines and I will continue to call them veins."

Robbie: "Well, okay... but that doesn't really sound like a word. Vines is a word, because they are vines that run through my body and keep me strong."

All I can say, is my son is a free thinker... and he thinks I'm an idiot. Maybe I'll start calling vines, veins and veins vines... then at least he'd have a solid reason for thinking I'm an idiot.

No comments: