Tonight I went to a Kindergarten panel. I went thinking I was going to learn more about a topic that has me a bit nervous. I was hoping it would give me a starting place... a place where I could begin to educate myself in what our next steps are for Robbie's education.
I left not sure that I should even be looking at Kindergarten for Robbie next year. There were seven people on the panel... and every one of them unanimously agreed - if you have a boy with a summer birthday, hold him back a year and let him enter Kindergarten as a 6 year old.
I am so uneducated when it comes to what I should be doing for my kids when it pertains to school. Tonight I was excited to find out I have options in the type of Kindergarten program I put him in. I was excited to hear that there are cooperative schools for Kindergarten through 8th grade! I am excited to start looking into the options we have.
But now, I'm concerned about Robbie. I have been feeling overwhelmed with the thought of Kindergarten. I'm not ready to send him. But I think academically, he's ready for something more challenging. Does putting him off for another year and a half make sense? He's reading. That means he'll be entering Kindergarten where kids are still learning their letters... when he's been reading for nearly two years. Is that fair?
How do I gage is maturity? I know that's why they recommend holding them back... how do I know if he's ready? I don't want to hold him back because it's right for me. I want to do what's right for Robbie... and I don't know!
Kasey skipped Kindergarten. From what I've heard, he's was a lot like Robbie. He taught himself to read. So far, Kasey hasn't really given much input. I know Kasey is also concerned about Robbie's academics though. Not that he needs to learn more or that we want him to learn more... but we know that Robbie is wanting to learn more.
I'm feeling conflicted, confused, worried, excited, and tired. I know we have time. For now, I will be exploring our options as if we are sending him. I have to get our name on waiting lists and in lotteries for some of the programs... this way, if we decide to send him, it'll be to our program of choice.
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment