It seems like these past few months I've had more issues with our decision to keep fast food out of our lives. Since my diagnosis with Fibromyalgia, Kasey and I have done our best to ban fast food. We do fall off the bandwagon... but for the most part, we rarely eat it. When I'm pregnant is when I have the hardest time resisting - I'm hoping those days are over. Banning fast food often helps me get my symptoms under control. Cutting out the fat improves my sleep and energy level.
Although, I have a firm respect for fast food. I love the convenience. I just don't love all the food or the marketing tactics. Kasey and I have made a pact that we will keep fast food out of our children's lives as long as we possibly can. I figure, while we can control it, we will. After all, I want to take this time where we have such a strong influence on what they eat, to teach them how to eat healthy and make smart choices.
This doesn't mean that they haven't had fast food (well, Alyssa hasn't). Since school has started, I've given in a few times to the convenience of fast food. But Robbie still thinks of McDonalds as Old McDonalds... the place where we pick up apple slices for a fun treat. Since they have changed their menu, I have been more apt to pick up a Happy Meal for him after school. But I have my own rules about this. He gets the chicken nuggets, apple juice and apple slices without the caramel dipping sauce (seems to me that defeats the purpose of the healthy side). I remove it from the packaging and I don't give him the toy until the next day. I don't want him associating the golden arches with getting a toy. I also don't want him to associate that meal with getting a toy. He has yet to have a McDonald's french fry under my watch.
It may seem extreme, but I worry about his health. I think teaching healthy eating habits now will give him a better foundation for making smart choices when he is older. We talk about the things that he puts in his body and what they do for him. He often talks about needing milk for his strong bones. He talks to me often about needing plenty of sleep and exercise so he can grow big and strong. He likes to drink orange juice and tell me it keeps him from getting sick. I like that he know how good foods help him.
So anyhow, this comes up in my blog today because in the process of making new friends for playdates, meeting at McDonalds always comes up. I understand that some think it's a "child friendly" location, but I'm not buying it. The only thing that's "child friendly" about that place is people there don't seem to mind if you can't control your kids... or they expect it.
I recently took Robbie to McDonalds because his friends invited him to have dinner with them there. Although we had other dinner plans, I told him he could have a snack and just spend more time with his friends. It was a mistake. He, of course, wanted the Happy Meal and toy that his friends were playing with while eating. Robbie did very well when I explained to him why he wasn't getting a Happy Meal and he sat there laughing a little uncomfortably as he watched his friends carry on throughout dinner with their rough play at the table.
As I relay this story, I feel like perhaps I'm a strict mom. But at the same time I fully believe that the rules we have set are appropriate.
1 - No playing at the table when you are eating
2 - You do not get down from the table until you are done and those eating with you are done
3 - Horse play and goofing around does not belong at the dinner table
These rules allow us to make all restaurants "child friendly". Our son knows his manners at the table, and adults and children both enjoy dining with us. I don't believe that play and food should be linked together. It sends a confusing message to the child and encourages inappropriate behavior at a dinner table.
I'm afraid that I'm all over the place in this blog... and I'm not sure I've covered my original intent. McDonalds and most other fast foods are not good for our children. I don't believe that the food is healthy and I don't believe that their influence is healthy. Old McDonalds still does not have a place in this family. I'm sorry if I have offended - but I am passionate about this topic. I was told today I should watch "Super Size Me", but I'm afraid it would only make things worse.
Sometimes, outside of my tight circle of friends, I feel like I'm alone on this one.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment