Monday, October 30, 2006

12 times

I'm just 10 gym trips away from forming a habit! I've read that it takes 12 times of doing something to form a habit. It's my opinion that they are talking about good habits, however. Since I certainly don't need 12 nights of milkshakes to form a bad habit. I'm pretty much hooked on the first night - especially if it's Kasey's rootbeer float milkshakes. Yum! Which, by the way, I passed on tonight. You can't see it, but I just patted myself on the back.

I think about the 12 times when I am trying to get Robbie to try something new. We have had many victories when it comes to him eating chicken that hasn't been deep fried... but I don't think we've hit 12 yet. I think we are hovering somewhere around 5 or 6 in the past month. So, just 6 or 7 more to go! Of course, I also think that the 12 times needs to be within a reasonable amount of time. I mean, does it count if he eats chicken 12 times, but it takes him a year?

I'm also working on getting Kasey to stop drinking soda in front of the kids. I tried this when we first had Robbie... and it didn't work. But, he was lucky. Robbie is not an outwardly curious kid. He didn't care what his dad was drinking as long as he was happy with what was in his cup. Alyssa is going to be completely different. She's already eyeballing his cup. So, no soda for daddy while he's at home in front of the kids. Of course, I think this will really help in his getting ready for his half marathon as well, but who am I to give him advice on improving his health? Anyhow, the other day I did notice that he chose to have water with his meal along with me. So now, I'm just 11 away from forming a new habit, right? I have a feeling that it might be double for Kasey though. He can be fairly stubborn :)

And actually, come to think of it... 12 times probably isn't going to do it for me... but at least it's an obtainable goal. 12 times. That's what we are working toward in this house. Wish us luck!

No comments: