My dirty little secret is that I watch a lot of Realty TV. From about 7:30 on, I'm in bed. This is often the time when I'm at my worst. I'm tired, my body is tired and it starts to rebel... often without much notice. So, I stay in bed as much as I can. This means I watch a handful of TV shows that I'd hate to admit to.
Tonight, I just watch The Bachelor (I can just hear the snickers and sneers). I don't get it. I don't understand why people put themselves through such an ordeal. On both sides... why would the girls want to be completing with 12 other girls (that was a random guess, I'm not sure how many girls there are)? And why would the guy want to go through all the drama of that many girls?
I'm guessing it's an attention thing for the girls. They need constant validation that they are worthy? They need someone else to tell them they are good people because they don't believe in themselves? I don't know... I don't get it.
The Bachelor isn't one of my favorite reality shows though. Nope, it gets worse than that. My favorite channel for Reality TV is Bravo. The newest one is Workout. I've also watched Top Chef, Top Design and Project Runway (although I'm not ashamed of that one... I think that one is fascinating). Sadly, I've seen a few more that I'm just not ready to fess up to.
I think what keeps me watching them is ~ 1 ~ there isn't really anything else on (I can only watch so much news) ~ 2 ~ the drama in these people's lives isn't in mine. I'd rather watch it than live it ~ 3 ~ I like people watching. TV, the mall, at a park, it doesn't matter. I like to watch other people living their lives. ~ 4 ~ in a sad way, it makes me feel better about myself. That's not to say I think poorly of myself. I actually have a fairly high opinion of the person I am. But I have flaws... and it makes me feel better to know that those flaws pale in comparison to the ones they show on TV.
I embrace my "flaws". And I embrace reality TV and all it's obnoxiousness.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment