Before I had kids, I worked not only to pay the bills, but to better myself. I worked to gain knowledge and to improve my own self worth. When you have kids, everything changes and my reasons for working changed as well. I continued to work to help make ends meet... and that really was the only reason. My kids teach me new things everyday and raising them has definitely improved my own self-worth. I really don't feel like I need to be at the top of a company, earning a large paycheck or have the validation of others that I am the best.
So, as my days at the credit union become fewer, I realize that once again, my goals are shifting. I have several projects that I will be working on now that I won't be employed... and today I just came up with a new one.
I need to keep my nanny around! I keep referring to her as a "babysitter" because she keeps an eye on the kids while I have worked from home these last two weeks. She's only been with us on Thursdays and Fridays, but I can't explain the relief and the calm that I feel when she is around. I have no problem leaving the kids with her. I have observed her and listened to her with the kids and she's great. She fosters their independence and creativity and she handles conflict calmly. I've never heard her raise her voice, yet she commands the attention of all the kids (her daughter comes with her). She's great!
So while I was enjoying a pleasant trip to the grocery store this afternoon - without kids - I decided that my new goal is to keep her around. Financially, it seems like a luxury to have her helping me out 10 hours a week, but mentally and emotionally, it seems like a worthy goal.
Friday, September 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment