Wednesday, September 27, 2006

5 percent

It's official, amnesia is definitely a side effect of having children.

I keep thinking that Alyssa is growing much faster than Robbie. She seems to be a lot bigger than he was at this age. Even looking at pictures of him, she seems huge!

Not so. My memory is skewed (not exactly surprising). Kasey took her into the doctor today for her "spitting" problem. First of all, the doctor agrees that she has reflux. We will be trying some medication to see if it helps the problem. Anyone know of natural remedies?

Anyhow, she also got weighed. Our little monster weighs 14.8 pounds! Wow, that seems big to me...

Apparently not. She is in the 5th percentile AND she isn't progressing the way the doctor would like to see. Hopefully it's because of the reflux and all will be well soon. But I'm not so sure. While the spitting is inconvenient... it really isn't as big of a problem as it used to be. It's somewhat under control. We decided to take her in because she's still under Kasey's old insurance and the spit up has taken on an acidic odor which means that it could be burning her esophagus. We can't have that.

So, her arc of improvement isn't sloping up enough. I think she's just an active, crawling, climbing, active little girl that can't be concerned with rules and the norm. So she's our 5 percent.

2 comments:

mrsmcj said...

I'm beginning to question percentiles. After talking to parents of mixed race, it seems that the percentiles are based on caucasian babies. Our neighbor's son was in the 3rd percentile. Aidan used to be in the 10 percentile, but since he had 6-month check-up, he's in the 3rd percentile (our "3 Percent!") for weight. But our doc isn't concerned because he's healthy and progressing along the curve. Whatever that means. :p Alyssa strikes me as healthy, happy little babe.

' said...

The percentiles don't bother me so much... as my mom is always reminding me, I was never even on the chart when I was a baby. If I'm concerned about anything, it's that she isn't progressing along the curve as she should be.

Really, I'm not so concerned yet. But it is interesting about the mixed race. Yet another thing for me to research and read way too much about!

Good things come in small packages... and Aidan and Alyssa are proof of that :)