Robbie is watching Charlie and Lola right now before he goes to school. It's a cute little cartoon on the Disney channel about a big brother and a silly little sister. The current episode is about Lola and her favorite book from the library. They go to the library to check out her favorite book and Lola discovers that someone else is checking it out. I look over at Robbie and he looks sad.
Mom: "What's wrong Robbie?"
Robbie: "I'm sad that someone else took her book"
Mom: "But it wasn't her book. They are at the library. At the library there are books for everyone and you can borrow them. The other girl is just borrowing the book"
Robbie: "I don't like people to borrow my books"
Mom: "But this book isn't Lola's, it belongs to the library. Lola just likes to borrow the book"
Robbie: "I don't like people to borrow my books"
I had this problem when Alyssa was first born. Robbie is willing to share anything... his toys, his food, pretty much anything... but stay away from his books! He is getting a bit better with his sister as he will allow his books to be read to her. But he makes it clear that they are his books.
I wonder if his love for books will carry on as he grows up and finds new interests. Yesterday we had our babysitter and her two girls over for lunch. All the kids went upstairs to play. I found the two girls in Robbie's room playing with his kitchen... and Robbie sitting on the rocker in Alyssa's room reading his alphabet book about bugs. I thought maybe the girls were not including him, but he was very content just rocking, reading his book about bugs. Is it his personality? Or have I done this to him? I'm happy for him if he's a book worm and a home body. But if it's something I've influenced, then I need to find a way to make him more social.
But I am really glad that he has a love for books. Even if he isn't willing to share them.
Monday, September 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment