Friday, June 30, 2006

Tennis

I wanted to wait for Irene's pictures. She put them on a CD for me the other day after Robbie's first practice (she has a great zoom lense that captured pictures where you could actually recognize that it was, in fact, our son on the court), but I left the disk at their house in my haste of getting him to the car (he didn't want to leave again). She brought them to me this morning.

First of all, yes, we know he is wearing a baseball outfit for tennis, but we were a bit unprepared and this was the best we could do. We don't supply Robbie with many white clothes and the selection of t-shirts with tennis related prints are fairly limited in the stores (at least in Washington). But, enough about his clothes. Do take note though, he does have a yellow tennis racket!

First of all, before we met the coach, I told Robbie I had a surprise for him. I told him that he got to be four years old for the next two weeks! See, the class I signed him up for is for 4 to 6 year olds and Robbie is really 3 because his birthday isn't until August 17. I didn't want to put him in the other class though because it was for 18 months to 3 years and that would not have been fair to Robbie to be grouped with the younger kids.

So, anyway, I got him excited that he got to pretend for two whole weeks that he is four years old! A few minutes later, the coach comes up and introduces himself (Coach Les). Sure enough, the first question the coach asks him is "how old are you Robbie". Robbie looks at me with big wide eyes and a big smile. So I returned the same smile with the big wide eyes, you know, the look that means he and I know a secret - and I asked him "how old are you Robbie?" and he said "I'm fffffff (still looking at me for approval as I nod my head that it's okay to tell this little white lie) four years old!" he annouces proudly! It was a very proud moment when my son backed me up - we make a great team even if he isn't aware that he's a team player! And since I forgot to fill Irene in on my little scheme, we were lucky she didn't correct him.

He was allowed to play tennis with the other two kids and he did great. He even listens to this coach! Not to say he doesn't listen to his soccer coaches, just there are a lot more distractions at soccer. We practiced yesterday and today at home and I think he's going to do great next week. It'll be up to him if he wants to continue after that. He also starts swimming next weeks as well.

For some reason I couldn't get the pictures to post in this blog, so the pictures will follow in a seperate post. Enjoy! Thanks Irene, for the pictures!

No comments: