- In the morning he needs to eat, brush his teeth and get dressed without me nagging him.
- Before bed he needs to have all his toys put away.
- Getting ready for bed, he needs to brush his teeth, wash his face and hands, get his pajamas on and pick his books without his daddy having to nag him.
If he does all three things, he can earn an hour and a half of screen time each day or save them. I am trying to make the things he needs to do, the things I am constantly nagging him about. I might add more things later, but I also don't want so many that he can earn too much screen time.
We've also implemented an incentive for his reading. I meant to, but never got around to recording the books he reads himself. So, we have started a chart for him. It includes columns for the book name, his favorite thing about the book, and a space for a sticker. There are 12 rows on each page and when he completes a book, we add it to the list and he gets a sticker. Once he completes a page, he gets a new book. We started this last week and today he completed his first page! We took a picture of him with all 12 books to share with everyone.

I've been trying to add these changes to his routine slowly... and so far he has been accepting. Next, I will introduce a chore chart. I haven't worked out all the details, but he will get a sticker for each chore he completes and when he completes the chart - he will get to pick either a small tub of ice cream or a cereal (these rewards were chosen by him). He was very excited about this one when we discussed it. I need to work out what the chores will be (setting the table for dinner, feeding chewy, etc) and how many he needs to complete to get his reward (25? 40? 50?). He will also be able to lose stickers that he has earned (hitting his sister, talking back, etc). I think I will introduce this at the start of next week.
These are my latest tactics to raising a responsible, motivated, respectful and well educated little boy. Wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment