Wednesday, March 28, 2007

By my calculations...

I know it seems like I'm a bit obsessed by this, but I hear about how small she is every day. When people see her, the first thing they say is that she's so small. So, it's on my mind all the time. Plus, I get tired of seeing the same 6 month clothes over and over. I am excited though, I think she's reaching the end of the 6 month clothes... and is moving into 9 month. Although this weekend I took all 0-6 month clothes out of her drawer because I was tired of looking at them. They still fit her, but I don't care. Those clothes were not meant to be worn by a toddler.

Today I had to weigh and measure Robbie. He is 35.8 pounds and 38.5 inches tall. He's on the charts... and he's doing well. I think he's always been in the 5th percentile for height and twentieth percentile for weight. He is trending up the chart just as he should. His sister is a different story (they are different in every way!).We were told before that she's on the charts for height (20th percentile), but I don't understand how they are getting that. Granted I had her standing and they often measure her lying down... but can she really gain 2.5 inches by lying down? And who measures their height lying down? I measured her to be 26 inches tall and she is weighing in at a whopping 17.4 pounds.

I feel like we are losing ground again. We were so close to getting her back on the charts... or were we kidding ourselves? Right now she is teething - she has her 7th tooth coming in - and not eating as much solids. I can't see how this is helping her case. I have kept her on formula to try to keep her weigh up, but just yesterday I bought her a small container of whole milk thinking we might be able to transition her off the formula. Now I'm not so sure. How long can you give a baby formula?

I keep telling myself not to worry. She's a happy little baby... and my mom did say that I, too, was 17 pounds at a year old. But by my calculations, she's no where near joining the lower 5% of babies in either category. I do have to say though, good things come in small packages. Both my kids are proof.

2 comments:

Danifred said...

I've never commented on a stranger's blog...but, I was reading your blog and just wanted you to know that I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday, came home and plugged in her info to the about.com website. The website gave me a MUCH lower percentile than my doctor's office gave me. Maybe she's really not as little as it seems :)

' said...

Thanks Jen for the comment!

Sadly, her weight is about where it's been since about 5 months. But her height has dropped dramatically, so maybe that's the case. Of course, I think it's more that I measure her standing up and they measure her lying down.

We'll find out in another month or so when she goes in for her next well baby check.

Thanks for visiting my blog!