Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Better Late than Never

So, the kids are wearing me out. Not so much physically, as I'm not really doing a whole with them as I'm taking it easy - and really, not so much Alyssa as my parents have really helped out with her a lot. But Robbie is having a hard time. He's a bundle of emotions - mostly anger and frustration and I'm just trying to keep it under control. Of course, not being able to bend down, get down to his level and hold onto him is making things very difficult.

But, we are also have some fun times... like the power outage the other night. It wasn't wide spread. And we still don't know what happened. When my parents called the electric company, they found out they were one of just 135 lucky households who had lost power. Robbie was thrilled! He couldn't wait to "sleep in the dark". It didn't seem to phase him when I told him we do that every night.

My mom gave him a flashlight/lantern so he could see when he walked through the house. And he was very helpful guiding others in the dark - or lack of. He even helped his uncle to the car (of course, it was early evening and still light outside, but Robbie was very proud that he was able to guide his uncle with his lantern to and from the car). It was very easy getting him to clean the room by lantern light, we read books (he read his first book to me) by lantern light and he got to sleep in the dark!!! It was a very eventful night.

This is the same night that Robbie read his first full book to me cover to cover. His first book is called "Hot Dog". Not only did he read it to me, but he was able to summarize it, so he understood exactly what he was reading. Yeah Robbie! He is very proud of himself. And, as you can see, so am I. Last night he picked the same two books. He said, one book for me to read and one book for him to read. It was perfect - his sense of accomplishment, that is.

Every day, Kasey and I make a point of asking him what his favorite part of his day was. It's a nice day for us to share our favorite parts of our day and to get him talking. Last night, I asked him before we picked books and he told me it was our talk (we had a long talk about anger and what makes him angry - apparently I make him angry when I close the door on him every time I use the bathroom, who knew!). Maybe I will start sharing them on my blog as I remember them as I'd be nice to be able to look back on them. He often comes up with some great ones. Also, maybe someone of his family and friends will feel like sharing some of their own.

This is getting long, I'll be downloading pictures later today (I hope) of the 4th of July neighborhood parade. I'd do it now while Robbie isn't here, but I'm on my mother's computer. Robbie is currently with his cousins, hopefully having a good time. Good Robbie and Mean Robbie kept getting mixed up today, so I'm crossing my fingers I sent Good Robbie with Nana and Papa today. We'll see. Maybe I'll have some of their pictures to share as well.

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

No comments: