Monday, March 27, 2006

Friends

Today is a bad day for me. I have pain everywhere... including my fingers and toes. I think the hardest thing about a day like this is Robbie. He just doesn't understand.

This morning he asked Kasey and I if we would play Hulabaloo with him. It's a physical game and just not something I can do today and Kasey was leaving for work. Robbie complained that he wanted friends to play with. He's been saying this lately and it makes me feel really bad. I have been networking and trying to meet some other moms so Robbie has playdates every once in a while. It's really out of my comfort zone, but it's important to Robbie to have friends... so I thought.

I decided that I would try to tie his need for friends into his potty training and it backfired before it even went anywhere...

Mom to Robbie: "Remember when you went to school and you had lots of friends?"

Robbie to Mom (before I could finish my thought): "No, not those kind of friends, I don't like that" (or something along those lines)

Dad to Robbie: "What kind of friends do you want?"

Robbie to Mom & Dad: "Friends like you guys, I want to play with you. You are my best friend"

What do you say to that? Where did he hear the term "best friend"? I wanted to motivate him to go in the potty. So I thought I'd share with him that he can go back to school once he can wear big boy pants. Apparently, that's not going to work since he doesn't want "those kind of friends".

Well, at least I don't have to feel bad about taking him out of the school. He talks about it occasionally and I thought that meant he liked it. I was apparently wrong.

No comments: