Monday, May 30, 2005

Swimming Like a Fish

The one advantage to being in the apartment has been the pool. Robbie was pretty leery of water a month ago... but with a little persistence and consistency, he has really taken to it. He still isn't willing to float on his back though. It's the big hurdle I have been trying to get past these last few weeks. We started him in the Water Baby program when he was just a year old and they taught him to float. He had to quit the program early though because he got sick. We haven't been able to get him back in it because I just can't juggle five days a week of driving to Sammamish (at least 40 minutes away) every morning. I think that would put me over the edge.

So, I try to teach him myself. Of course, it's been hard. I need him to trust me in the water, so I don't want to just let him go and make him float. I want to give him a kicking board to help him float without me, but it's something you would never do in Water Babies... using any type of flotation product. But it's been two weeks for trying to get him to let go of me (he gets a death grip on my hair, bathing suit or skin whatever is most convenient) and I'm getting frustrated.

To float or not to float... that is the question. Look at how great he is at kicking... now look at the picture and replace my husband with a kicking board. Dilemma solved, I'm buying him one.

Swimming

No comments: