Today was the closest we get to a family day. Kasey's game is nearing it's end (end of June) and so for the next month he will be working a lot - including weekends. Of course, that conflicts with my work schedule as I'm supposed to be working on weekends. Now, we argue over who gets to go to work.
But that's not what this blog was supposed to be about. So, back on subject. Today was a "family" day before I went to work. We had to run errands (okay, just one - but it sounds better to say "errands" than to say we had to run "an errand"). I seem to be having trouble sticking to the subject at hand, so bear with me.
We decided to take Robbie to Chang's (there's another funny story here, but I'm trying to stay on subject so perhaps I'll do a footnote at the end) for lunch. We got ready and everyone was out of the house by 11:30. A true miracle. All was going well until we pulled up to Chang's and noticed that the parking lot was a bit empty (unusual for this fine establishment). Kasey went up to the door and reported back that they didn't open until noon.
All the while, Robbie is in the back seat saying things like "I like Chang's, it's my favorite restaurant." or "That's Chang's let's get out". So, we broke the news to Robbie that they weren't open. It went something like this...
Robbie: "Let's go to Chang's" (remember, we are sitting in front of Chang's in the car, engine running)
Daddy: "Sweetie, Chang's isn't open yet. They don't open until noon"
Robbie: "But I want to eat at Chang's"
Daddy: "Yes, we know, but they aren't open yet. We have 20 minutes before they open."
Robbie: "But I want to eat at Chang's" (surprisingly, he's still calm here, just trying to reason with his daddy who obviously isn't getting it)
Daddy: "We have 20 minutes until they open. We are going to take mommy to a store and then we will come back when they open, okay?" (yes, I know, but if we don't ask permission bad things have been known to happen)
Robbie: "Okay, I will let that happen"
Funny. But I really think Robbie believes that things happen because he allows them to. I think that's why he throws such a fit when things don't go his way. Luckily, we were on Robbie's side and all things went well... until we got to Chang's and found out that they don't serve Calamari and Crab at lunch time.
Okay - footnote. Yesterday when I was driving home from picking up Robbie (he went into work with Kasey while I ran errands - this time I had more than one), I asked him if he was hungry.
Robbie: "Sure"
Me: "Okay, where do you want to eat?"
Robbie: "At a restaurant"
Me: "How about Sushi Zen?"
Robbie: "No, I want to eat at Chang's, it's not berry far"
Me: "But I don't want Chang's. I want to have sushi. You like Sushi Zen"
Robbie: "I like Sushi Zen, but I don't feel like eating there. Chang's is good."
Me: "I don't want to eat at Chang's."
Robbie: "I want calamari"
Me: "Okay, then let's eat at McGrath's"
Robbie: "Chang's has calamari. Let's go to Chang's"
Me: "I don't want to eat at Chang's"
Robbie: "Chang's is my favorite"
Me: "We aren't eating at Chang's"
Robbie: "Okay, Olive Garden"
Me: "I don't want to eat at Olive Garden either"
Robbie: "Okay, then Chang's"
Me: "It's Sushi Zen, McGrath's or we go home."
Robbie: "Okay, McGrath's. I like McGrath's"
No kidding, this is how the converstation with my three year old went. Since when does a three year old have an opinion. So, the way I see it now is... yes, it saves us many conflicts when we discuss things with him and give him choices. However, it's a little ridiculous that he have an opinion about what restaurant we eat at. He's three! He can't even read his own menu (although, I have to admit, he's close).
Have I mentioned that I love this age! (I'm not being sarcastic here, although I can see that it might come across that way. I really do love this age!)
Alright, enough of my ramblings. I'm starting to feel a little like Kasey :) I'm going to bed.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment