Friday, February 17, 2006

She has finally made an appearance!

It was a very dramatic entrance so I am sure we can expect great things from her.

I went into labor on Friday afternoon. We went to the hospital around 10:00 that evening when my contractions were 5 to 7 minutes apart. We got there and because the contractions weren't really changing much, they were prepared to send me home to wait it out some more. I was not happy with this and was prepared to hold my ground... but then she did the work for me.

Every time I had a contraction, her heartbeat dropped. She was so convincing, they admitted me. The plan was to induce me early in the morning. My doctor already had several deliveries lined up and was hoping to save me toward the end of her shift. So they pumped me full of Ambien (they gave me two when I normally take just half of one) so that I could sleep and rest before the real contractions began.

Then they gave me the wonderful epidural so that my body would stop tremoring. It had to have been sometime after these two things occurred that the plan changed. But I can't be too sure since I was pretty much unconscious.

Our daughter took her role of keeping me at the hospital a little to seriously and apparently her heartbeat continued to drop enough that she had all the nurses in a panic. Next thing I know, I've had a C-Section and a new baby. I'm sure Kasey could fill in the rest of the story, but that's about all I remember.

Alyssa Kathryn Quevedo was born at 4:32 am. She weighed in at a whopping 6 pounds, 1.2 ounces and was 19.75 inches long. She is longer than Robbie was when he was born. They say she is in the 50th percentile for her height and the 3rd percentile for her weight.

Here is a link to her hospital pictures.

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=1G0N1O1J9A

I hope to post more pictures of her soon. We haven't taken a whole lot as they all come out pretty much the same. Eyes peeking out of a blanket. She is so small, she runs pretty cool. We have been given the mission to keep her nice and warm so her little body doesn't have to work overtime to keep her warm. We don't want her losing any more weight as she is already down to 5 pounds, 1 ounces. So she is constantly wrapped in at least two blankets and wears a hat at all hours, including bedtime. Poor thing, I hope she's not claustrophobic like me!

No comments: