Friday, May 09, 2008

Observations

This morning, Robbie joined me in bed briefly before we both got up. I asked him, as I normally do, how he's doing.

Robbie: "Not so good"

Mom: " Why not?" - bit concerned because he always says "great!"

Robbie: "Because I discovered that I'm shrinking"

Mom: "What makes you think you are shrinking?"

Robbie: "Because I'm smaller than all the other five year old kids"

I had a feeling this conversation would come up eventually. I mean, his friend Nicholas who is four months younger than him, is several inches taller. While he's not the shortest kid in his class... he is also a year older than them... and I think there might be one kid smaller.

Luckily, I have experience being the smallest kid. So we talked about it for a while, I assured him that he isn't shrinking, and I'm hoping that'll be it. He did seem a bit relieved that I was the same way. And as he pointed out, I'm not small anymore.

Oh... and I said that being small, you are also sometimes faster than other kids. So he said, "the bigger you get, the slower you are?" I disputed that... but I think he might be onto something.

No comments: