Monday, May 26, 2008

Nicknames

Funny, lately I've been thinking a lot about the origin of nicknames - mainly parent nicknames for their kids. Mine seem to evolve.
For Robbie, when he was younger, it was "boo". Then as he became more aware of the names I call him, it'd call him my "punkin" because he thought it was funny. I'm sure there have been a lot of names since then... but now I call him "bug". That one came from me calling him "love bug". They are all so sappy... but it's just his personality and how I feel toward him.

Alyssa is no different. When we first chose Alyssa for her name, we talked about nicknames as if it was something we could just decide before she was here. We figured her nickname would be "Ally". But I've never called her that (except when I call her "Ally Sheedy" because of her long bangs in her eyes - I really need to cut her hair. She has been called "Menace", "Lyssa", "Lyssie" (this one still sticks) and my latest is "lulu" which came from me calling her "Lyssa Lu".

I like ""Lulu" for her... it fits her and she responds to it now. And when I use her real name... she definitely knows she is doing something I don't agree with.

Anyhow, I just think it's funny how nicknames evolve... wonder what these ones will evolve into.

By the way, check out the picture I've included. Notice her shoes. We haven't been able to find her other purple boot for months now... but it doesn't stop her from wearing it. Oh... and her pants are floods because the waist fits perfectly, but she's too tall since they are 12 month pants... so I added a ruffle :) Of course, I didn't realize that even the ruffle wasn't long enough. Isn't she a vision! She's going to be America's Next Top Model for sure if she can even pull off that outfit.

No comments: