I have always thought that Kasey and I were involved and attentive parents. Today, I was embarrassed to find out that we are lacking in a few areas. Granted we are a little involved in providing for our family; juggling jobs with giving Robbie guidance as well as socialization, but it seems some things are fairly big that we shouldn't be missing them.
Kasey has the week off work so he and I went together to pick up Robbie from daycare today. Picking Robbie up is always a pleasant experience. We really like the daycare and the people that run it, they really like him and he is always excited to see us. When we got there to pick him up, he was being goofy and throwing himself around so we gave him a little extra time. I was approached during this time by his teacher. The conversation went something like this...
Teacher: I've been meaning to talk to you about Robbie.
Mom: (a little defensive) What'd he do?
Teacher: We need a supply of pull-ups.
Mom: (confused) Why?
Teacher: It'd make it easier for us when we have bathroom breaks.
Mom: (totally baffled)Why?
Teacher: (finally catching on) He's going potty in the toilet.
Mom: (astonished) Since when?
Teacher: He's been doing it consistently for about a week and a half.
Need I say more? I was so embarrassed that I had no idea. We later talked to Robbie about it in the car and he denied it for a few minutes until he finally giggled and admitted that he does go potty in the toilet at daycare. Not only that, but he's past sitting on the toilet and he does it standing up. He's peeing in the toilet at daycare, but not at home.
I really don't think this is going to change much. I've asked him several times since we got home if he needed to go and his answer is always "Not yet". We had bribed him in the past with money for his piggy bank and while that will sometimes get him in the bathroom, it doesn't produce a performance. I've even taken his love of parties and told him that when he starts going in the toilet at home, we will celebrate with a party. I've never been aggressive about it because I figure when he's ready, he'll let us know. But apparently I was wrong about that too. He's peeing in the toilet at daycare, but not at home.
I'm going to ignore the fact that he doesn't perform for us and we are going to take him to get the (apparently much needed) pull-ups for daycare and perhaps we will even stop by the boy's department to admire the big boy underwear. What is apparent to me is that I don't know what motivates my child, so I'm willing to try anything. Not that I care if he's potty trained... I just don't want him doing something for them and not me. I'm a little selfish that way. He's peeing in the toilet at daycare, but not at home.
I have a feeling I'm going to lose a lot of my pride in this struggle, I think I already have.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment