I have to admit that when we first got there and she refused to sit on the top step - I was a little concerned that we were going to have a repeat of Robbie. But the teacher was great and within 5 minutes she had her sitting along with the other girls.
It isn't until we get out and do things like these swim lessons that you realize just how small our little girl is. Notice in the picture with them sitting on the second step... the water is nearly up to her chin. They are all sitting on their bottoms with Lyssie leaning back only slightly.

And the picture of them standing. The girl on the left is about the same size as the other girl. Lyssie is standing on her tip toes in the water along with the others. A small size difference... but not a huge age difference (if any).

I noticed that the teacher escorted Lyssie to the steps every time she finished. This wasn't the case with the others. I think she was a little concerned that the water was at Lyssie's shoulders in the shallowest part of the pool (other than the steps).
But Lyssie had a great time. She kept turning around to tell me that she's trying really hard to listen to her teacher :) I'm not sure where that was coming from since I forgot to remind her to do that. It's comforting to know that I don't have to state the obvious (this time).
This pile of towel is Robbie. He is playing his DS. Apparently he was having trouble seeing the screen and had little interest in watching his sister. He was, however, a little sad that he didn't get to do the lessons. I told him that we weren't going to put him in anymore group lessons since he doesn't put his face in the water. He is showing a little more interest in trying... perhaps Lyssie swimming before him will give him a little more motivation.
I also had a problem getting Lyssie out of the pool. It was a little cool this morning and I had trouble keeping Lyssie warm. Her lips quickly went to the blue color they like to turn when she loses all her heat. It took me drying her off, getting her dressed, wrapping her in a towel and my fleece lined coat and about ten minutes to get her lips back to their normal color. I'll be planning ahead tomorrow and bringing warmer gear for her - and probably several towels. I was lucky that I chose to wear the jacket (and I only wore it to keep my skirt down because I was afraid it might be windy :)). I knew Lyssie had trouble retaining heat when she was wet - but that was crazy. They also want her to shower before going into the pool This means that I can't shower her until everyone else is getting in because I can't have her sitting outside of the pool wet.
I did notice her shivering in the pool a little (it is heated)... and wonder if I shouldn't get her a swim shirt or something. The thing is - there are only three more classes. Anyhow, it's times like these that I remember that she is still such a little thing and I need to pay more attention to those details.
Did I mention that several of her classmates are wearing 5T? (they are in the 95th percentile for their age). Lyssie just got into 2T (still wears some 18 months). We seem to be losing ground!
No comments:
Post a Comment